EXTRAORDINARY POLICY AND RESOURCES COMMITTEE
Monday 25th March 2019
Public Participation – To receive questions from members of the public in accordance with Standing Order No 3. Each person is allowed to speak for 3 minutes with a maximum amount of time allowed for public participation will be 15 minutes. The Chair of the meeting shall not allow any question that is in his / her opinion:
i. Defamatory, frivolous or offensive, or
ii. Requires the disclosure of exempt or confidential information
iii. Relates to complaints about individual members or officers
The Openness of Local Government Bodies Regulations 2014 permits the audio and visual recording and photography of the Council and Committee meetings by the general public and/or media. It would be appreciated if persons wishing to take photographs or to record a meeting, were, wherever possible, notified to the Acting Town Clerk before the meeting concerned. For more information on permitted recordings please ask to see the Council’s policy.
A G E N D A
2. Declarations of Interest – To receive any Declarations of Interest in respect of items on this agenda as required by the Code of Conduct adopted by the Town Council on 4th February 2019. Members are reminded that, in accordance with the Town Council’s Code of Conduct, they are required to declare any disclosable pecuniary interests or other registrable interests which have not already been declared in the Council's Register of Interests. Members may however, also decide, in the interests of clarity and transparency, to declare at this point in the meeting, any such disclosable pecuniary interests which they have already declared in the Register, as well as any other registrable or other interests.
3. Minutes – To approve the Minutes of the Policy and Resources Committee meeting held on Monday 4th March 2019. The attachments will form part of the main Minutes, however, will not be redistributed with this Agenda.
[CLICK HERE FOR MINUTES]
4. Grants & Donations – List of Grants & Donations Awarded 2018/2019 – attached for members’ information
[CLICK HERE FOR LIST]
4.1 Grant Application – Thriving Through Venture
Application Form and information about the charity is attached together with a copy of the PowerPoint presentation from the last meeting. Requesting a grant of £1,600 for four local teenagers to visit The Gambia for educational and social purposes.
Scores 13 / 18 on the Criteria
Power: Under the General Power of Competence
[CLICK HERE FOR APPLICATION AND PRESENTATION]
5. Recommendation from Amenities Committee - Community Copse
At the Amenities Committee meeting held on 25th February 2019 it was resolved to make two recommendations to the Policy & Resources Committee.
Amenities Committee 71/18.3 Community Copse
It was proposed by Deputy Town Mayor, Cllr Merrick, seconded by Cllr Conway and
UNANIMOUSLY RESOLVED that the Town Council will support the creation of a community copse adjacent to Castlefields and will be prepared to enter into a 100-year lease with Bowood Estate at a peppercorn rent on the understanding that a community led group including members of the Calne Area Parish Forum take on the management of the copse. (refer to Policy & Resources Committee for approval of the lease).
The Town Council will support the setup of the copse by underwriting the cost of obtaining planning consent and drafting the lease with the Bowood Estate. (Budgetary cost £1,000 to be taken from 105-4159 Legal & Professional and refer to Policy & Resources Committee for approval)
Members are asked to RESOLVE to confirm that the fees for planning permission and drafting the lease can be made from budget code 105-4159 (Legal & Professional) and note that discussion will now commence to draft a lease which will be brought back to a future meeting for approval.
6. Decision by Urgent Matters Committee - Former Youth Drop In Centre.
The Town Council contractual term of the tenancy ended on 2nd November 2015. The building continued to be occupied as a 1954 Act protected tenant. Following a decision that the lease should not be renewed three months’ notice was given and the building was vacated in August 2018. The Town Council has a liability in relation to property dilapidations and a condition survey was provided.
Negotiations culminated with a time limited offer of £4700 from the Landlord plus the prescribed fees to settle the matter.
The Urgent Matters Committee approved that a payment of £4700 be made from the remaining budget 110-4315 (Drop in Centre) with prescribed fees of £3600+ VAT split with £2654 coming from 105-4159 (Legal and Professional) and £946 from 110-4315 (Drop in Centre).
Members are asked to NOTE the decision.
7. Confidential Session – In view of the sensitive nature of the business to be transacted, it is advisable in the public interest that the public and press be excluded, and they are instructed to withdraw.
Reason for confidential session:
To consider lease / contract negotiations
|Public to be excluded from the meeting to consider commercial interests.
Publicity could prejudice the on-going negotiations by the council.
8. Confidential Minutes
To approve the Confidential Minutes of the meeting of the Policy & Resources Committee held on 4th March 2019.
9. Recreation Ground Working Group
Members to receive the notes from the Recreation Ground Working Group meetings held on 5th March 2019 (attached) and 20th March 2019 (to follow).