Calne Town Council administer and maintain the main cemetery in Calne and also maintain the closed churchyard at St Mary's Church.
Curzon Street Cemetery
Curzon Street Cemetery was opened in 1867, and is located on the A4 next to the entrance to St Mary's School.
The Cemetery is Non-Conformist burial ground, which is open to the burial of people of any faith.
The Cemetery is administered and maintained by Calne Town Council. Maintenance duties include the general up-keep of the grass, hedges and trees, as well as keeping the footways and Chapel in good order. Administration includes the processing of Burial Applications and Record Keeping
The Cemetery caters for traditional burials and the interment of cremated remains. Cremated remains may be buried either in a cremation plot, or in the Garden of Remembrance. The scattering of ashes is not permitted.
Memorial plaques can be positioned in the Garden Of Remembrance or on the Memorial Wall. In addition, Calne Town Council are happy to discuss the donation of benches or the planting of shrubs, trees or flower bulbs as memorials.
If you have any questions or comments regarding Curzon Street Cemetery please contact Calne Town Council on 01249 814000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Burials registers dating back to 1867, recording burials at Curzon Street Cemetery, are held at the Council Offices and are available for public viewing during normal office hours.
Our contact information is:
Calne Town Council
Tel: 01249 814000
Fax: 01249 814440
History of Curzon Street Cemetery
The cemetery was opened in 1867 and is home to many fascinating stories and celebrated people.
The Bowood Tragedy
The story behind a married couple buried at Curzon Street Cemetery who died in suspicious circumstances in 1898.
To read the Bowood Tragedy, please click here.
The accounts have been taken directly from newspapers from 1898 held at the Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre.
Thank you to local resident John Osborne for carrying out this research, revealing the history behind one of the gravestones at Curzon Street Cemetery.